Start with a beginners class, this will introduce you to the steps and give you a feel for the dances. It will take a few weeks before you start to feel comfortable and get used to the style. The beginners class will introduce you to the basic steps and by the end of the first class you should be able to do at least one dance. Don't expect to remember it the week after, the instructor will go through it again, you will not be the only one who can't remember the steps!! Each week you will review past dances and learn at least one dance that is completely new to everyone.
A few points to bear in mind when attending your first class:-
- Don't expect to be able to do the dances straight away. There are distinctive steps and as with most new things, you need to get a grip of the basics before you can move on. If you are struggling sit out a dance and watch, its surprising how much you can learn.
- Don't be put off by the experienced dancers, they have all had to learn! and believe me they have all faced the wrong way, bumped into someone and totally lost it. Watch them in their intermediate class and you will see what I mean.
- Come back the next week, it wont seem as daunting and you will find it easier as the weeks go on.
- Be prepared to laugh at yourself, don't get stressed or worried if things are not coming together as fast as you would like, it will eventually.
- Fetch a drink, remember Linedancing is a good form of exercise - you will get warm and need a drink! preferably not alcohol.
- Most important, ENJOY yourself
When starting to learn to Linedance you will hear the instructor tell you to grapevine to the right or right shuffle. A good instructor will repeatedly breakdown these steps, eventually you will hear 'shuffle' and know what to do. As a helping hand, below are the most common steps with a description and a beat count
|Shuffle||1&2||Step Right Foot Forward(1). Close Left To Right(2). Step Forward Right(3)|
|Grapevine||1234||Right Foot Steps To Right Side(1). Cross Left Foot Behind Right(2), Right Foot Steps To Right Side(3). Usually followed by touch, stomp, hitch or something else!|
|Jazz box||1234||Cross Right Foot Over Left.(1) Step Back On Left(2), Step Right Foot To Right Side(3). Close Left Next To Right(4)|
|Chasse||1&2||Right Foot Steps To Right Side(1). Close Left To Right(2), Right Foot Steps To Right Side(3)|
|Pivot turn||12||Step Forward On Right. Pivot 1/2 Turn To Left.|
|Triple Step On The Spot||1&2||Right(1) Left(&) Right(2)|
|Charleston kicks||1234||Step Forward On Right Foot(1). Kick Left Foot Forward(2), Step Back On Left Foot(3). Touch Right Toe Back(4)|
|Kick ball change||1&2||Kick Right Foot Forward.(1) Step Down On Right Foot (&)Quickly Change Weight Back Onto Left Foot.(2)|
|Coaster step||123&4||Rock Forward On Left(1). Rock Back Onto Right(2). Step Back Left(3). Step Right Beside Left(&). Step Forward Left(4)|
|Monterey turn||12||Touch Right To Right Side(1) On Ball Of Left Pivot 1/2 Turn Right, Stepping Right Beside Left(2)|
|Lock step||1&2||Step right forward(1), lock left behind right(&), step right forward(2)|
|Cross shuffle||1&2||Cross left over right(1), step right to side(&), cross left over right(2)|
|Sailor step||1&2||Cross right behind left(1), step left to left side(&), step right in place(2)|